Whether you are living alone or with family members, your home is bound to collect a medley of things as time goes by. These unused items take up precious space in your home and can make even the biggest homes feel tiny.
On a normal day, you are probably too busy with work, classes or errands to round up your mishmash and put away the mess in your home. But what if you can turn this into a fun holiday activity with the family instead? To achieve a clutter-free home, all you need are some home cleaning tips that will reduce the number of items in your home while gaining more space for things that matter.
Home organisation tips:
The trick behind sorting clothing items is to make full use of every available compartment, including the top space of the wardrobe which is largely unused. You may also use small, clear storage boxes and compression bags for sorting.
- You will find that there are clothes you wear more often than others. Fold and place these in the main closet space. Anything that you don’t wear often should be inserted into a nylon bag or storage box and placed on top of the cabinet where it will be out of view.
- Any formal clothing like jackets, gowns, and suits take up a lot of space because they cannot be folded, so zip them up in cloth bags that absorb moisture, throw in packets of silica gel to keep the humidity controlled, and hang them in the furthest end of the closet where they don’t need to be frequently accessed.
- Use compression bags to store seasonal clothes and bedding, and place them in the upper space of the closet. If you have lots of family members and your wardrobe space is limited, it is best to store them in a minor small storage unit to save space. You can conveniently retrieve them whenever you need them again.
- Small clothing items and accessories like belts, ties, socks, scarves and such should be placed in smaller storage boxes neatly arranged in a drawer for easy access.
Makeup and skin care products
In addition to clothing, there could also be a variety of makeup, nail polish, or skin care items that should be stored appropriately.
- Make good use of multi-layered racks for perfumes, cosmetics, skin care products and such. This allows you to see everything at a glance.
- You can use the same kitchen utensil tray to hold cosmetics like lipsticks, mascaras, and eyeliners so that they won’t roll around in the drawers.
- Find a glass bottle (reused or recycled is best) and fill it with glass marbles. You can now stick your makeup brushes into them for easy reach.
The kitchen is one of the busiest areas in your home and storage can be complicated.
- Check the expiration dates of the perishables in the refrigerator and eat fresh foods as soon as possible. Using smaller storage boxes for different types of food not only makes efficient use of the space in the fridge, but also helps them last longer and taste better.
- Any cutlery and utensils that are not commonly used – like your expensive china – should be individually wrapped in acid-free paper and then bubble wrapped and temporarily stored in mini storage unit.
- Any appliances that are not frequently used should be placed back into their original boxes and stored in a mini storage space.
A lot of small items like books, magazines, bags, shoes, children’s toys, sports equipment and such take up a lot of space in the house. But if you store them properly, you can still keep them without throwing away anything that may be valuable or of sentimental value to you.
Organisation is an important principle in life. Even if you have a beautiful home, improper storage will cause a whole jumble of things and inevitably, dust and dirt to build up, causing the monetary and intrinsic value of your home to decrease. Spring cleaning doesn’t need to only take place in the Spring but an activity that can be completed in one day with the participation of the whole family, so consider this as holiday activities that you can all do together.
If you need more space for those unused seasonal clothes, cutlery and appliances, check out Minibox’s storage service in Hong Kong – a safe and convenient solution for all your home storage needs.